What we do
Apnalaya works with people living in some of the poorest slum communities in Mumbai to help them achieve a better quality of life. Our role is one of empowerment: of encouraging ordinary men and women to believe in themselves and in their abilities to change their lives for the better.
Partnership and participation are the key to all of Apnalaya’s activities. From identification of needs and problems, to planning and execution of projects, local people are involved at every stage. Apnalaya's programmes are carried out by trained and dedicated community based staff, who work hand in hand with professional social workers, teachers doctors and volunteers under the guidance of the CEO.
Apnalaya has worked in 5 slum communities in Mumbai since it was founded in 1973 (see Our History). Our main area of work now is Shivaji Nagar, Govandi, with communities around the Deonar dumping ground: Rafi Nagar Part 2, Shanti Nagar, Padma Nagar, Indra Nagar, Buddha Nagar, Mominpura, Sanjay Nagar, Nirankari Nagar, Adarsh Nagar, Chickalwadi, Indira Nagar Part 2 and Sai Baba Nagar.
Apnalaya is a member of Credibility Alliance, and adheres to the desirable norms for good governance of voluntary organizations.
- Please support us for the following ongoing projects:
· Develop digitized MIS to generate evidence of impact and efficacy of its interventions
· Working with adolescent girls and boys on Gender and Responsible Citizenship issues
· Develop training modules on Rights and Responsibilities for sustainable community development in urban slums
· Employability and Livelihood training for poverty alleviation and empowerment of women and urban youth
· Providing Health, Education, and Livelihood related services to people with special needs
· Responsible Citizenship" Fellowships for higher education to support students from extremely poor background through their education and inculcate values of rights and responsibilities in them
· Internal Capacity Building
More on what we do ...